Wednesday, June 15, 2011


I was hoping to make enough progress on my new knitting project - the Arbor top (a free Ravelry pattern - to have something worth showing you for WIP Wednesday today. But Alex, my two-year-old stuntman had other ideas Monday evening and gave us an experience I never ever want to repeat (but fear we will several times over, sigh).

We put the boys to bed Monday evening, just after I'd got home from a long 11-hour shift at work, and straight away we heard him run into our bedroom. I knew he had climbed on to my dressing table stool and pulled open the drawer to grab my make-up case again, so Gareth made his way up to move it out of reach and put him back to bed. But before he could get there, there was first a bang, then the sound of Alex crying hysterically - the sort of cry that drives absolute terror into you (you mums will understand). Alex met us at the top of the stairs and at first I thought he'd cut his tongue or mouth as I could see blood in there (anyone of a squeamish nature might want to skip a couple of paragraphs here) but I quickly realised the blood was pouring out of a wound in his forehead, at the top of his nose right above his eyes. And I mean pouring, I've never seen anything like it. So I grabbed the nearest item of fabric and applied pressure while telling Gareth to phone for an ambulance. I feel awful thinking about it now.

The paramedics took a little while to arrive, during which time Alex had stopped crying and the wound had stopped bleeding as bad, and I could have a look - relief washed over me as I could see it wasn't as bad as we'd first feared. But he'd split the skin and taken out a good little chunk, and it was clear he would need it stitching or glueing.

So the paramedics arrived, checked him out, bandaged him up and off we went in the ambulance to be put back together in A&E (me and Alex - Gareth does not deal well with blood, so kept out of the way by attempting to scrub the carpet, which resembled a crime scene by this point. Last thing we needed was him fainting on us!)

By now Alex had perked right up and loved his little adventure. He had great fun watching out the ambulance windows, then playing with the toys in the A&E waiting room and charming all the nurses as usual despite it being way past his bedtime (and no, this wasn't our first visit and I'm sure it won't be our last, he just has no sense of danger that child!)

Here he is waiting to be glued up (doesn't look too fussed does he?!). He was more bothered about his PJs being covered in blood - amazing how much there was, both of us were covered. I had changed him before taking this pic:

So, we finally got him glued and steri-stripped up and we were on our way home.

And that's the story of why I got no knitting done Monday as planned. He must fallen from the stool and hit his head on the open drawer. And yes he hasn't learnt his lesson, trying the same thing again last night - luckily I was one step ahead of him (plus I have now moved my make-up - not that there's any left, grrrrrrr).

And he is two days later. I'm not sure this is the neatest patch-up I've ever seen, but if it does the job I guess it doesn't matter. Just have to keep it dry for another few days, then let it dissolve.

Managed to make it to knit night last night for a much-needed catch-up and cake and to surprise a much-deserving friend, although I only got a little bit done. The Arbor seems to be quite slow because of the chart pattern. Hopefully I'll have enough to show you next week - toddler permitting!

P.S. Blood does not clean out of carpet it seems and I hate the stains being a permanent reminder of something so awful, so now a new staircase/landing carpet is on the agenda. Which is fine as I hate the current one and had been trying to convince Gareth to replace it anyway (just not this way!)


No comments: